Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Random things no one tells you about being pregnant

I’m sitting here watching AI with my swollen legs up, hoping they might return to normal size, and pondering the things they don’t tell you in the “Pregnancy is a glowing land of marshmallows and butterflies!!!” books. (Not all are like that, to be fair. I really like a book a friend gave me called Your Pregnancy Week by Week.) Here are some of them.

There is no waiting around or putting others first when you have to go to the bathroom, eat, or sit down.

It is really hard to shave your legs when you can no longer bend at the waist.

Learning to sleep on your side is not as easy as the books make it sound if you aren’t already a side sleeper.

Nothing will ever taste as good as whatever you are currently craving.

That whole thing about how you can keep up your workout with whatever you were doing before? LIES! No one feels like exerting more energy on purpose after a long day at work.

There is no telling what will make you start crying or laughing hysterically at inappropriate times. You will also fly off the handle at the drop of a hat.


You will forget important things all the time. (I left my purse at the bookstore today… fortunately I remembered as soon as we got in the car and ran/waddled back in as quick as I could and it was right where I left it…)


People will feel a strange freedom to tell you bizarre/scary/TMI birthing/baby stories ALL THE TIME.


Target and Old Navy, hands down, have the most affordable maternity clothes around.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I would have told you all those things if you would have bought me lunch.

I HATE being pregnant.

Jessica said...

If I'd only known!