Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Broken vision

I love to look at streetlights, traffic lights, and headlights at night… really any kind of light from a lamp when it's dark. When I look at them, lines of light come off from all directions and they look like stars. Recently William had his eyes checked and he has astigmatism, which I do as well. I knew that from when I used to be good about getting my vision checked, way back in the day. The eye doctor told William that astigmatism causes those lines coming off the lights. I was shocked to learn that I’ve been seeing lights incorrectly for all these years. They’re so beautiful, but I’m not seeing them right. It made me sad, actually. But then I got to thinking… what grace there is in that, but grief as well. My vision is broken but it made something so mundane as a streetlight beautiful. We see the world that way. Our vision has been broken since Adam and Eve fell in the garden, and none of us see the world as it ought to be seen. I wonder now how often God grieves over us… saying to us, “But you don’t see it right!” as we look around His creation. We see beauty but it’s skewed. One day we will get to see what the world really looks like.

3 comments:

Mrs. T. said...

I have astigmatism, too, and was so surprised to learn that most people don't seen the stars like we do. :) God is good to give us a blessing in a weakness but I think that's what He does most often to help us "see" more clearly. :)

Jessica said...

Amen!

No One In Particular said...

So true...