Wednesday, February 9, 2011

food for thought

There are days I don’t feel like cooking dinner. I know this might shock some of you ;) When it’s one of those days, I like to have meals in the freezer (and I’m talking meals I didn’t make) since take-out isn’t an option most of the time. Freezer brands tend to be hit and miss on flavor and value, so if you’re like me and want to have emergency frozen dinners on hand, here’s a rundown on some of my favorite, plus a brand I will never ever buy again.

Wanchai Ferry frozen (not the instant box stuff): Every type but the sweet and sour chicken has been really good, and the only reason I don’t like the sweet and sour chicken is because it has pineapple chunks, and the sauce has pineapple flavor. Here is how much I don’t like pineapple: one time at the grocery store I tried a free sample of yogurt smoothie. I picked up the cup, threw it back like a shot, and had to exercise incredible self-control not to spew it all over the free sample lady because all I could taste was pineapple. So the point of that story is, if you like pineapple, the sweet and sour chicken will be just fine. The veggies are slightly soggy but edible. If it’s on sale or I have stackable coupons I’ll buy it, but I wouldn’t buy it full price for any reason. I also make extra rice to stretch the bag of food out further. The pouch that comes with the bag is pretty skimpy (and frozen instant rice is gross anyway.)

Birdseye Steamfresh Vegetables and/or Pasta with sauce: I am really skeptical of frozen veggies. I like my vegetables to be barely cooked so they still have all the crunch unless it’s in soup. I got some Steamfresh bags for free with coupons, otherwise I never would have bought them. They were surprisingly good! The veggies were actually firm, and they weren’t drowning in the sauce. My one complaint is the bag drips because of the steam ventilation system, and my microwave is in a different room from my kitchen, so I left a trail across my kitchen floor the first time I used this product. Next time I will hopefully remember to put the bag in a bowl or on a plate before microwaving.

PF Chang’s: In a word: DELICIOUS! Coupons are rare, but it’s cheaper and easier than takeout, if you’re in the mood for Chinese. The first time I made a bag, I also made extra rice because of past experience with the Wanchai Ferry. It was totally unnecessary. I’d look for sales and stock up on these, but it’s the best flavor and most amount of food of any frozen dinner I’ve tried. If I was under budget on other items I’d buy this full price (and I NEVER pay full price.)

Macaroni Grill: Very good flavor and quality. I would stock up on these if they were ever on BO/GO.

And last, and absolutely least: Contessa Shrimp dinners. I bought two on a BO/GO and was extremely disappointed. I got the Dragon Tail shrimp and the Balsamic Glazed shrimp. The bag claims to serve 2. I microwaved the bag, opened it up, and there were 7, count them 7, shrimp. And they were little ones. If they’d been giant tiger shrimp maybe it would have been ok, but these were smaller than cocktail shrimp. A bag is $6 or $7, I can’t recall exactly, but I only bought it because it was BO/GO. I can buy a pound of shrimp for $5 at my seafood counter. My verdict: TOTAL RIP OFF. And how are 2 people supposed to split 7 shrimp anyway? Stupid.

No comments: