Monday, July 6, 2009

Austen and the undead

This summer I've been reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I loved it. But if you are inherently offended by zombies, occasional innuendo, violence, or the very idea of someone messing around with a classic of English literature, then this book is not for you.

It keeps the main plot of the original, the shenanigans and exploits of the Bennett family, dear Bingley and Darcy, the shadester Wickham, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, and all the rest. It just assumes that zombies have overrun England and that the Bennett sisters are deadly warriors, trained in China to defeat the undead, and until they are married/if they get married, they are sworn to defend England til death. There's not actually much to add to that description without just reciting the book. The plot is basically the same so if you know the original, you know what happens, just not the particulars of this new imagining.

I found myself laughing out loud at several places. William is reading it now and he loves it, and he doesn't even like zombie stories.

I love Jane Austen. One of my prize possessions is an Austen collection I bought in England. I believe Colin Firth = Mr. Darcy and always will. And I think most rewrites or reimaginings fail. But this is a lark of a read, good for summer time.

No comments: