Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cookin'

I've started compiling a cookbook. I'm not sure how it's going to go, or how long it's going to take me, because I don't measure when I cook. I throw things in a pan 'til it looks and smells good and then I eat it. My ultimate goal is to get published, but also I want to provide easy, yummy recipes for people that don't have time to mess around in the kitchen all day. To meet both those goals, I'm going to start putting some of those recipes on my blog as I cook them. Writing them out as I make them will help me remember about how much of whatever I threw in the pan. The first installment is right now:

FARFALLE WITH BACON, OLIVES AND GARLIC

Ingredients:

1/2 box Farfalle pasta
4-5 slices Bacon
12 Kalamata Olives
4 cloves Garlic
A swirl of Olive Oil (Purists would fuss at me, but I use Extra Virgin for everything.) 
approx. 1 TB Lemon Juice

Set water over high heat in a large saucepan.
While the water is heating, set 4 or 5 pieces of bacon to crisp in a pan. (Remember to flip it every so often.)
While that is going on, mince 4 cloves of garlic. (I've read that letting the garlic air after you've chopped it releases whatever healthy thing is in them. Who knows if that's true. It certainly can't hurt.)
Water should be at boiling by the time the bacon is done. 
Pour half a box of farfalle in the water.
Set the bacon on paper towel-lined plate to drain. Pour off most of the fat from the pan into a heat-proof container. (Dispose when it's cooled, or save it for greasing a cornbread pan. Trust me; it's delicious.) Set pan aside. 
Boil the pasta to desired consistency. I like mine chewy and tend to cook it for a few minutes less than the recommended time on the box. 
When bacon is cooled slightly, chop into small pieces. 
When the pasta is done, drain it.
Heat the bacon pan just over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan and also add about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. This will de-glaze the pan. (In other words, you get those delicious brown bits from the bacon cooking to come off the pan and into your pasta dish.) 
Add the garlic to the pan. Saute for 30 seconds or so, just 'til the garlic softens. 
Add the pasta to the pan. Give it a good stir so bacon and garlic are mixed through pasta. 
Let everything sit in the pan while you rough-chop a dozen or so kalamata olives. 
Add the olives to the pan, saute everything again 'til well mixed. 
Serve!

***a few notes on this recipe***
1. Kalamatas are really salty and strong. Regular black olives make a fine substitute if kalamatas plus bacon = too much salt for your taste. 
2. Freshly grated parmigiano reggiano adds a touch of pizzazz to the taste and presentation. 
3. This basic recipe works with whatever pasta you have on hand.
4. This makes enough for me and my husband to eat, plus leftovers for lunch the next day. 
4. This is great on its own, or as a base for other ingredients: stir in cooked chicken, steamed broccoli, sauteed mushrooms... whatever strikes your fancy. 


No comments: