Wednesday, August 27, 2008

mid-week ramble

Today is the last day I will see my M/W crew for a week because of Labor Day.
I was reminding my 6th grade class of this fact, wishing them a happy vacation. Upon hearing that it would be a week before they were back at school, one boy threw his hands triumphantly into the air and shouted "YE-", then, realizing I was raising an eyebrow at him, he changed mid-word to "Oh man! Bummer!" Or something to that effect. Someday he will realize that the teachers prize their time off just as much, if not more, than they do. God bless 'em. 

Some of my 7th grade boys are learning the fine art of kissing up. Yesterday in an effort to stall class, some of the gents in the front row starting complimenting my hair and how fun my class was and asking if I'd lost weight recently. They totally have the right compliments down; too bad I know they were being self-serving in giving them. It was funny though. 

One of my 6th graders said I was mean because I expect them to participate in class, and if they don't, they will lose points off their grade. This is a family I am close to; I was at their house for New Year's, William and I go over for dinner every so often, etc. Her definition of mean amuses me. From someone I didn't know so well I might be offended. It did provoke me to think about how I run my class though. I think the 6th graders don't know what I mean by "participate" and "answer questions" and "tell me something you learned yesterday." (I get blank stares, for the most part, when I ask them a question.) It means I have to tinker with my lesson plans, but I think the end result will mean less frustration for everybody. 

No comments: