Saturday, August 9, 2008

weekend of glee

This has been one of the most fun weekends in recent Egg history. Last night we went out for Benita's birthday with her, Sam, Bill and Careth. Benita did my hair and makeup for me, and then we went to eat at El Bodegon, a Spanish tapas place in Winter Park. The food was good, but our waiter was inept and inadvertently provided us with our entertainment for the evening. We knew we were in trouble when we had to ASK him to bring us menus. Then he came back to the table and informed us he didn't speak Spanish. Apparently a table full of pale British Isles-looking people and a Korean need to be warned not to speak Spanish to the waiter. Sam and Benita ordered sangria and the convo went something like this.

Sam: "We would like a 1/2 pitcher of sangria."
Waiter: "A half carafe?"
Sam: "No, a 1/2 pitcher."
Waiter: "So you want a pitcher of sangria."
Sam: "A 1/2 pitcher."
Waiter: "You can get it by the glass too"
Sam: "A 1/2 pitcher please."

The waiter.... brings out an entire pitcher.

Then we order. All the menu options are in Spanish. Now, I can not actually speak Spanish very well (My range in foreign languages is limited to "Excuse me. Hello. How are you? My name is Jessica. Where is the bathroom? Thank you." ) BUT I know how to pronounce the words. I ordered the tapa de la casa and some other thing, but the waiter didn't know what it was and I had to point at the menu. Everyone else did the same thing. I understand not necessarily having to speak Spanish to work at a Spanish restaurant, but if you are going to be a server in Winter Park, you should probably KNOW THE MENU.

"I would like the chorizo."
"The what?"
"The chorizo."
"What?"
"The sausage."
"Ok!"

We got our food... it was delicious. I had octopus, until the waiter decided I'd had enough and cleared my plate. Then he brought out the check and it wasn't split, so we had to wait for him to get back from wherever he was to ask him to split it. He asked, "You want it split according to what you ordered?" We all burst out laughing. I did feel mildly bad because it's kind of a reasonable question but he was so awful throughout the night that it just piled on. If he hadn't ADDED GRATUITY to our bill he wasn't going to get much of a tip.

We ladies went outside while the guys took care of the bill and proceeded to take silly pictures by a statue and climbing up a fake trellis wall outside the restaurant. Benita was taking a picture of me and Careth when a waiter from Rocco's, the restaurant next door, came out and asked if we wanted him to take the picture so we could all be in it. That made us laugh some more as we wondered how many people could actually see us. Then Sam comes bursting through the door of the restaurant: "What are you DOING? Flirting with this guy?" Of course we weren't, and Sam was kidding, but the waiter sheepishly gave back the camera and scooted back inside Rocco's.

After that we went to ABC in the middle of a thunderstorm, then back to Sam and Benita's for margaritas and the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Good times! Pics are on my facebook.

Then this morning, I met my dad at the mall. We did our tradition back to school shopping so I can look nice at work. Benita and Careth joined up, and my dad had to go home, so then it turned into an epic girls' day. I am now the proud owner of a fantastic seersucker suit.

To top off this most awesome weekend, I just ate popcorn and chocolate milk for dinner.

I don't really have a deep point in relating the details of this, just that I love my friends and family! This weekend I have laughed to the point of crying, gotten some cute new clothes, eaten good food... it's been a nice reprieve.

1 comment:

Benita said...

It was a great weekend! Friends, shopping, food, doesn't get much better.

Love ya!
B